Monday, July 14, 2008

Missing Charlotte

I asked God “how can you let these people live in this poverty?”
God replied “how can you?”

A woman here told us the quote above. I think it can speak to anyone and be applied in many ways. This week we built houses for a few lucky children in Giving Hope. After building for a few hours in the morning, we made “home visits” to children living near the building sites. I will post the children’s stories tomorrow, but before I do, I thought this quote was a good message to ponder.

I do not think I have ever seen this much poverty. I really can’t place myself in some of these kid’s shoes… Some barely have a t-shirt on. They do not have a home, enough food to survive, no parents, and no one to talk to… I just can’t fathom having nothing. There is probably no one poorer or worse off than some of the children I met this week.

At the same time when one of these kids smiles at you, laughs and calls you a Mazungu, or reaches to hold your hand… There is nothing sweeter or more special. Giving a hug to someone who no one has touched or looks at in years, is a unique feeling. A little boy, Tommy, at one of the building sites gave me a very crumpled, dirty piece of paper with hearts around our names… He wrote “I will never forget you” and “I love USA” at the top. Definitely being framed… Isn’t it great that these kids appreciate our country?

I really enjoy getting emails and facebook messages. I really want to hear what everyone is up to. They cheer me up, and make me that much more excited to go home. I have spoken to a few people over the past few weeks that I had not heard from in a long time; I appreciated those!

Love,
Jessica

No comments: